Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Middle Of The Night Post - Unrelating To Running

I've been having trouble sleeping over the past couple of days. I tend to wake up in the middle of the night, and it's hard to fall back to sleep. I decided to continue reading one of my favorite books, 'Black Boy' by Richard Wright. This is my 4th time reading it since I first read it in college. This book was required reading for an English 102 course to took at Gainesville College. The book is an autobiography of Wright, and his living his adolescence in the south. He has now left the south and moved to Chicago, but he still does not fit in. When reading this book, one must take into account that it is set in the 1920's when black people (especially in the south) were not "equal" to whites. Living in Chicago Wright is having trouble adjusting to a new city - for him a new world. Racism doesn't seem to be as apparent as it was in Memphis, TN, his last place he resided, but it's still in the air. Just because there are no signs such as "Blacks Only" and "Whites Only" doesn't mean prejudices are not in Chicago.

I wish I could sleep. I'm currently unemployed (by my own choosing) and Wright is always looking for jobs. Fortunately for him, he always seems to find employment, but they are not always the best jobs. Maybe that is why I cannot go back to sleep - I have a lot on my mind trying to finish my graduate degree and find a job.

Maybe this book is related to running in an abstract way. Running for me has always been more than a physical activity. It's been a way of life. Running has always been relavtive to everying in my life.

I'm an avid Fantasy Football player as well. I've played over the past 5 or 6 years with most of the same group of guys. I only know two of them in real life. Trent, who is the best friend one can have is one of them, and then there is Mo, who someone I consider a very good friend, even though I've met him only once. Currently, we are in the playoffs and I made it past the first round. This weekend my appontent is Trent, who I lost to in the middle of the season by about 4 points. I have a feeling I'm going to win, but he has at least five players that are always capable of scoring 20 points each. If things fall in my favor, I can win. The next game will be the championship game that I won back in 2004 against Trent. There is money on the line, so if I can win, it will help me out until I find employment.

No comments: