Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My Best Race I Ever Ran

I was 17 years old and a senior in high school. The finals for the 8AAA Region Champtionships and, like my sneeking into to sixth spot of my Fantasy Football team, the same happened with this race. Two days before I had had to run in the finals of the 1600m, and 30 minutes later, I ran in the qualifying heat of the 800m. I wanted to back out of that 800m race, because I did not feel I was going to do very well I so tired from coming in 4th in the 1600m and posting a PR, I had doubts on how well I would run this qualifying heat. Fortunately I beat out the last person by less than a second. Ironically, this same person did the same thing to me my junior year. He ran for Riverside Millitary Academy - Winder-Barrow's arch rival. This guy had great sportsmanship and we talked after the race on how ironic it was wit the way the finals two days from then came about.

The day finally came. During that day in school, I was only focussed on my possible last race in high school. I even came close to getting into a fight, but I knew that if I did, my chances of racing that day were slim.

I remember running this race for my mom. She was always supportive of me and my running, but never saw my "best" races. Most of them seemed to be out of town, and she wasn't able to attend.

So I'm on the starting line and I'm nervous. Coach Bently, the distance running coach on the track team, told me would you stop being nervous before every race you run. I remember taking some deep breaths and it eased my nerves. The gun went off and the race was underway.

I hit the 400m mark in about 61 seconds. Was it too slow? There were many times I would hit the fist lap in 57 seconds, and usually struglled on the last lap. The 61 seconds helped me save energy for the last 200m. At about 300m to the finsih, I found myself in no man's land. I was in fourth place at the time and falling behind. Then I rememered this race was for my mom. At about 300m I took off, passing the runner in 3rd as if he was standing still. Before I knew it I was in a virutal tie wit 150m to go. I had the momentum of the two runners ahead of me. When I caught up with them, I slightly slowed my pace to theirs. Why did I do this? I question that decisoun every time I think of this race. Shane, my teammate was one of the two runners I was right there with me, and another guy from Hart County (I cannot remember his name). The two of them found another gear and I tried to go with them, but I didn't have it. I finished about 1 second behind the first two runners who advanced to the State Meet.

Coach Bently was smiling at me and I walked over to him and told him, "I tried". Even though I didn't win the race or qualify for the State Meet, I ran the race as if it was my last (and it turned out to be in high school). Both Coach Bently and Coach Holliday were very proud of my effort. So was I but it would have been nice to have won. :)

I scored 10 points for my team, and I was happy as we won the Region Championships and went on the place 3rd in the State Meet. I was put on as an alternate on our 4x400 team - so I guess I can I didn't make it to to the State compitition.

No comments: